Why I Choose Marketing As My Major?



I am one of the few who took a longer time and meditation to decide what course to take in college. After I assessed myself so much, I have come to realize what major area or subject I should be focusing. And choosing marketing, i think, just best suits me.
My Major Decision in Life…

During my second year in college, we were given a glimpse or study load to learn finance, marketing and economics. This by then gives a chance to firmly assess what major I should take in, discover my strength and weaknesses and again, another once-and-for all major decision in life.


I am on a teeter-totter mode pivoted whether to choose finance or marketing or even both.
And below are my considerations why I chose to learn things that fall under the umbrella of marketing.

Seeing my interest towards it. 

First and foremost, I took up marketing not because its cool, popular, seem-so-easy course, statistically has lot of graduates nor bet that it will make me rich in the future. It is also not based on my parent's decision, relative's recommendation and people's expectation towards my career goal. 

I chose it because of some personal and deeply rooted purpose- passion and fears. Yes, these two are yet to be seen, nurture and develop.




Primarily, marketing is more in engaging to people. And that is one of my weaknesses. I tend to have fluctuating self confidence and fond of stuttering whenever I converse with others/crowd or presenting a certain report. I just hate it when I believe that I can do and make the best out of it yet out of the blue, you mess it up because fear suddenly creeps in. I see the need to improve this while I still have this chance to be guided and molded by the institution where there is more opportunity to increase . 



And lastly, anything related to art, culture, behavior, business, people is what interests me. I see the passion to learn more and to cultivate it. To be honest, I'm uncertain of what future dictates to me. Will my work in the future corresponds my choices in life? Will this bring me to higher extent and growth? Still so uncertain, I just have to deal and follow the beat of my heart. 

I was fascinated by its scope and depth. 
Before, I thought marketing is purely advertising or promotional effort, interacting personally with clients, selling a certain product and as such. Yes, it’s true but it doesn't limit you from there. Marketing has a broader sense and opportunity. It doesn't confine you to a single type of business or industry. It has a wider range of career opportunities may it be the traditional or digital. 

Your personality will also determine what sort-of marketing you possess. Like if your extrovert and prefer personal interaction, you can be in sales, market research or public relation. If you’re a techsavvy and enjoys interacting or working online, then you can be on digital marketing. It’s an exciting and rewarding career yet it takes a longer process and struggle to be equipped and be able to survive the marketing world.

I’m still a work in progress to fully be aware and grasp what marketing is about. I just enjoy learning and applying its scope. I believe, to be fully equipped, I have to apply my learnings to the real world and take every risk it gives.

Marketing is everywhere.
I come to realize that almost everywhere is being done and are a product of marketing. The subject intrigued me because so much of what I learned in the classroom began to collaborate with my life outside of lecture. 
 
I have a favorite article written by author Michael Brenner in Forbes magazine. He states that:

“Marketing is what you say and how you say it when you want to explain how awesome your product is and why people should buy it. Marketing is an ad. Marketing is a brochure. Marketing is a press release. And more recently, Marketing is a facebook page or a Twitter account. Marketing, to many business people, is simply selling at a larger scale.” For more readings click here.

Whatever industry you are in, may it be finance, economics, Information technology, even if you encourage your friend to play dota or just simply sit there and tweet or share a post online, we are all in marketing.

Marketing is both science and art.
To ponder between science and art, I enjoy the studying scientific discoveries and other discipline yet when it comes to creating a rose cube origami or making nail art using straw or marble water. Well, I prefer art. I mean, though I liked both, creating something creative is what interests me.

But to answer what marketing is, George Torok, a practical marketing expert and speaker shares why marketing is both science and art.


Marketing is a science because marketing is about understanding and influencing behaviors. Psychology, the science of behaviors, studies how people react to certain stimuli in predictable ways. This is similar to Newton's' third law - cause and effect. For every marketing action there is a reaction. The science is in anticipating the reactions to your actions.  Marketing is an art because marketing is about appreciating the nuances of human behaviors. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is art.   Click here for more details.. . 

Truly, it is challenging yet fun. It always look and crave for something new. We are encourage to squeeze out our creative juices and to think outside of the box.


I am curious on how things work and how people behave.
I’m a quite person but I think a lot and talk all by myself silently. I tend to be so inquisitive on how market works, how company sell and innovate their products, etcetera etcetera 

Anything related to psychology is what interests me also. This is important for every marketing major to know the thought process of consumer, what motivates them to buy and how they perceive the product. I may have a good grade for this subject before yet my application towards what I have learn is yet to tested and be experience. I have to learn more from this in the real world. 

Because I’m an introvert.
Basically, I choose marketing because I’m socially odd. I am shy and a quiet one yet I enjoy random dealings and be with different people. I can spend time talking or sharing my views and opinion on a certain subject matter or to create something out of ordinary.

Attending to any social gathering or party is not on my peeves but I love to organize one and often been a person-behind every events in school. Ironic as it is.


That is why, while I’m still on the verge of learning marketing under this university, I’ll choose to grow, make strides and cultivate the other side of me. To fully grasps and be competitive enough once I stepped in the real world.


Today, I just have to follow the urgings of my heart and feet and believe, God will direct my path.