My Extracurricular Journey


"The smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of my life"
This is about my extracurricular journey.

Getting into school organizations aren't new to me. Back when I was in grade 6, I was elected to be the president of Pupils Government Organization (PGO) and in my senior year in high school, still, I hold the same position on a Central Student Government. Both are student councils.

Way back, I was just that young teenager with a position to lead. A student leader who organizes school events, set design and as such. But when I already stepped on a higher educational ladder, I saw lots of talented and confident individuals.

And so as the curtain of being a college student almost comes to an end, I came to realize how different the decision I set back when I was still a freshman. I just wanted to feel the opposite of the life I had in my previous academic year. No extracurricular activities, not holding any position to lead, not shouldering any difficult responsibilities, you know just that ordinary student as I can be, focusing mainly on academics. It seems I almost settle for mediocrity but the latter was just a piece of my lazy thinking.

No matter how I try to somehow live that way, it will never allow me to happen because it’s been ingrained in my subconscious to never be focusing into one thing if I know I can do more of it and if not, it does challenge me to better.

My First Active Student Leader Experience in College
I said "active" because of all other organizations I partake, this one will I considered the "official" LOL. Well let's just say, I choose to fully commit on this. It was in my third year when I became part of  XUJMA. A co-curricular organization for marketing management students.

Throughout the academic year, I actively participate and implement their projects. Balancing academic and extra org life. One day, the VP of our department appointed me as the project head on one of its ongoing projects. It's one of biggest project of the organization for it needs to deal with 6 different marketing schools all over the city.

Organizing and being the overall in charge of this event, negotiating with the possible sponsors, dealing with different people- may it be the dean, the students, moderators, teachers and many others; planning, budgeting, meetings, weighing a calculated risk, accepting criticism and the list goes on is a thorny issue especially for a first-timer. Worse comes to worst if there'll be a twist in the wind or if I'll be left to face a difficult situation without any assistance and less support.

Thank God, it turned out so well. Check CDO-JMA to see the whole event. What I had experienced gives me a whole glimpse of how to handle events right and thus equipped me more as a business student. Those learnings were never taught and gained in four corners of our room alone. Indeed, experience is the best teacher.

On the Way of Taking A Higher Leap

Right before the end of that school year and being of service, I think I had enough. That somehow I was able to prove to myself that I can effectively balance everything despite pressures. However, the journey to a bigger height is yet to come. My co officer is planning to run for the next election and she wants me to be one of her league.

Knowing it, I hesitate. I really do. It took me awhile to decide if I should go to the next level and take the higher risk. Will I be able to manage my studies knowing the pressure and projects of being a graduating student? Will I be able to effectively handle a team and its members? So many questions running through my head.

Then, I happened to read a quote saying: "What would a life be if you're not doing something remarkable?" This makes sense, somehow, I wanna make my last year to be more exciting, fun and memorable. I want to make the most out of it. And I'm very thankful that I also have a bunch of friends and co officers who'll support me along the way.

On the other way around, I also envision myself to lead and create a more fruitful and up to beat projects for marketing students thus expand horizons and networks. Those by then are the factors which led me to take the chance to run and showcase my platforms to everybody.

Reaping the Harvest: On Becoming One
So.. *insert drums rolling* I got the position and happily been part of the Executive board of XU-JMA. With great power comes with great responsibility as what Spiderman said. I always look forward on our future projects, correlates with the mission and vision of our organization, with a willingness to help and contribute in any means as I can and share in my leadership value to my generation. Somehow, my previous leadership experiences became my stepping stone towards a greater path and been my basis of leading a team.

I've got a lot of ups and downs in my whole extracurricular journey. Not to mention how I was able to deal with different people, difficult situation, bigger projects and doing things I thought I wasn't capable of. However, I will forever strike a note, on the moments I had with my fellow VPs, moderator, co officers and members so as the life lessons I have gained.

Realizations
God really put things into right perspective. I was actually afraid of the unknown; I once even berate and lose the confidence in myself at first. I almost settle who for the just-that; It is only a matter of courage, of adjustment and the tolerance to take a risk.
If you feel you're in a right direction, trust your instincts. 
Life is full of surprises, there is always these unforeseen circumstances, challenges and wisdom. Just like this. I can’t imagine that the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment